Highlights from the Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology
Alana Flexman, MD, FRCPC
SNACC Representative to the JNA Editorial Board
|Alana Flexman, MD, FRCPC|
Dr. Smith has shared some highlights with us from the upcoming January 2019 issue:
- Hot off the press: Hoefnage et al.1 have published their Cognitive Aids for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Neuroanesthetic Emergencies which are featured elsewhere in this newsletter – a must-read for all clinical neuroanesthesiologists;
- Lima et al.2 reported increased variation in serum chloride and increased hyperchloremic acidosis with normal saline as compared to balanced crystalloid in children undergoing brain tumor resection. This article is accompanied by an editorial by Dr. Robert Tasker;
- An excellent overview of the neuroprotective effects of xenon anesthesia is authored by Rylova & Maze3;
- Peng et al.4 found similar time to recanalization, successful recanalization and neurologic outcomes between patients who had general anesthesia and conscious sedation in a retrospective cohort of patients undergoing endovascular treatment of acute ischemic stroke;
- The novel use of inflammatory biomarkers to identify early EVD-associated ventriculitis in subarachnoid hemorrhage is reported by Lenski et al.5
As always, Dr. Martin Smith thanked the high-quality reviewers who support the JNA editorial process. Anyone interested in acting as a peer reviewer please contact Dr. Smith directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hoefnagel AL, Rajan S, Martin A, Mahendra V, Knutson AK, Uejima JL, Kositratna G, Weller M, Yang H, Ahuja S, Bailey C, Bebawy JF. Cognitive Aids for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Neuroanesthetic Emergencies: Consensus Guidelines on Behalf of the Society for Neuroscience in Anesthesiology and Critical Care (SNACC) Education Committee. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2019.
- Lima MF, Neville IS, Cavalheiro S, Bourguignon DC, Pelosi P, Malbouisson LMS. Balanced Crystalloids Versus Saline for Perioperative Intravenous Fluid Administration in Children Undergoing Neurosurgery: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2019.
- Rylova A, Maze M. Protecting the Brain With Xenon Anesthesia for Neurosurgical Procedures. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2019.
- Peng Y, Wu Y, Huo X, Wu P, Zhou Y, Li J, Liang F, Liu X, Pan Y, Miao Z, Han R, Endovascular Therapy for Acute Ischemic Stroke Trial g. Outcomes of Anesthesia Selection in Endovascular Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2019.
- 5Lenski M, Huge V, Schmutzer M, Ueberschaer M, Briegel J, Tonn JC, Schichor C, Thon N. Inflammatory Markers in Serum and Cerebrospinal Fluid for Early Detection of External Ventricular Drain-associated Ventriculitis in Patients With Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2019.