Fellowship in Neurosurgical Anesthesiology and Perioperative Neuroscience- The Futuristic Role of the ICPNT – Part 2
And Neuroanesthesia fellowship accreditation TEAM (Together we achieve more)
This article discusses the futuristic role of the ICPNT in neuroanesthesia fellowship training worldwide. (This is Part 2, read Part 1 in the previous newsletter.
This organization has the mission “to set high-quality neuro-anesthesia educational standards globally and improve patient outcomes” In order to achieve this mission, the vision of the ICPNT is:
- To accredit and thereby ensure standardization of neuroanesthesia education with an international spectrum and scope.
- To promote collaboration between accredited programs leading to quality education for fellows graduating from these programs.
- To contribute to education and research to our specialty through networking and partnerships.
In this section (Part 2), we shall discuss the collaborative role of the ICPNT in education and research.
At the heart of the ICPNT lies the Neuroanesthesia Program Relations committee(NPR). This committee plays an active part in educational networking between neuroanesthesia fellowship programs.
1.This committee offers webinars on a zoom platform every month for all fellowship programs. This is just a sample list of webinars that we offered in the past.
The speakers for these webinars are content experts in neuroanesthesiology, researchers in neurosciences, ICPNT fellows who present and discuss interesting cases, and journal clubs. In addition, these webinars allow networking amongst neuroanesthesiologists around the world.
2.During the covid pandemic, the committee reached out to fellowship programs worldwide to survey the impact of the covid-19 pandemic on clinical training, education, and the emotional wellness of the trainees in neuroanesthesia. The results published in the journal of neurosurgical anesthesiology would serve as evidence to show how programs used innovative ways to handle the crisis at its peak.
3. During the SNACC annual meeting, the NPR committee usually provides a workshop. In 2021, it was a perioperative brain function monitoring workshop that was offered online; this workshop was oversold, showing the need for such educational programs for the practicing neuroanesthesiolgoist.
4. The committee also organized a virtual PD meet and greet in April 2021. Again, there was an excellent discussion between program Directors regarding the various aspects of fellowships and accreditation, and collaboration. There was a virtual wine and cocktail event, and everyone toasted online.
5.The ICPNT offers collaborative communication between the ICPNT and the programs and collaboration within the programs themselves, which is depicted in the figure below.
Comparing the traditional communicating path between accrediting organizations and programs and the novel system of accrediting programs with collaboration.